what is the difference between hwaccels cuda and cuvid?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

what is the difference between hwaccels cuda and cuvid?

Roman Gorelik
Hi,

Can someone explain please what is the difference between hwaccels cuda and
cuvid? Which one should be used in which cases?

PS C:\vers\Release> .\ffmpeg.exe -hwaccels
ffmpeg version 4.0.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
  built with Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.00.24215.1
for x64
  configuration: --enable-asm --enable-yasm --enable-nvdec --disable-doc
--enable-shared --disable-static --disable-bzlib --disable-libopenjpeg
--disable-iconv --disable-zlib --disable-dxva2 --disable-d3d11va
--enable-decoder=tscc --toolchain=msvc --arch=x86_64 --extra-cflags=-MD
--extra-ldflags='/NODEFAULTLIB:libcmt' --enable-cuda --enable-cuvid
--enable-nvenc --enable-libopenh264
--extra-cflags=-I/c/svn/ExternalLibs/CudaToolkit_9_0/include
--prefix=/c/vers/ExternalLibs/ffmpeg_4_0
  libavutil      56. 14.100 / 56. 14.100
  libavcodec     58. 18.100 / 58. 18.100
  libavformat    58. 12.100 / 58. 12.100
  libavdevice    58.  3.100 / 58.  3.100
  libavfilter     7. 16.100 /  7. 16.100
  libswscale      5.  1.100 /  5.  1.100
  libswresample   3.  1.100 /  3.  1.100
Hardware acceleration methods:
cuda
cuvid

---
Roman Gorelik
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the difference between hwaccels cuda and cuvid?

Moritz Barsnick
On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 12:32:52 +0200, Roman Gorelik wrote:
> Can someone explain please what is the difference between hwaccels cuda and
> cuvid? Which one should be used in which cases?

I personally have no idea, but a bit of an (internal) explanation was
given here recently:

http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2018-November/235929.html

But that apparently did leave some questions open:

http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2018-November/235930.html

Cheers,
Moritz
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the difference between hwaccels cuda and cuvid?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
In reply to this post by Roman Gorelik
2018-11-06 11:32 GMT+01:00, Roman Gorelik <[hidden email]>:

> Can someone explain please what is the difference between hwaccels
> cuda and cuvid? Which one should be used in which cases?

Adding to the answer: Using FFmpeg's parser and not Nvidia's can
help with unusual samples.

> PS C:\vers\Release> .\ffmpeg.exe -hwaccels
> ffmpeg version 4.0.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
>   built with Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.00.24215.1
> for x64
>   configuration: --enable-asm --enable-yasm --enable-nvdec --disable-doc
> --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-bzlib --disable-libopenjpeg
> --disable-iconv --disable-zlib --disable-dxva2 --disable-d3d11va
> --enable-decoder=tscc

Unrelated:
The following have no effect, removing them makes debugging
easier:
--enable-asm --enable-yasm --disable-libopenjpeg --enable-decoder=tscc
(You cannot enable tscc with --disable-zlib)

Is there something about iconv that we should know?
Why are you disabling it?

Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the difference between hwaccels cuda and cuvid?

Roman Gorelik
In reply to this post by Moritz Barsnick
Mortiz, thank you for the links. It helps.

> > Can someone explain please what is the difference between hwaccels cuda
> and
> > cuvid? Which one should be used in which cases?
>
> I personally have no idea, but a bit of an (internal) explanation was
> given here recently:
>
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2018-November/235929.html
>
> But that apparently did leave some questions open:
>
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2018-November/235930.html
>
> Cheers,
> Moritz
> _______________________________________________
>
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the difference between hwaccels cuda and cuvid?

Roman Gorelik
In reply to this post by Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
Hi Carl Eugen,

On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 at 14:56, Carl Eugen Hoyos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2018-11-06 11:32 GMT+01:00, Roman Gorelik <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Can someone explain please what is the difference between hwaccels
> > cuda and cuvid? Which one should be used in which cases?
>
> Adding to the answer: Using FFmpeg's parser and not Nvidia's can
> help with unusual samples.
>
> Thanks for the hint.


> > PS C:\vers\Release> .\ffmpeg.exe -hwaccels
> > ffmpeg version 4.0.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
> >   built with Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version
> 19.00.24215.1
> > for x64
> >   configuration: --enable-asm --enable-yasm --enable-nvdec --disable-doc
> > --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-bzlib --disable-libopenjpeg
> > --disable-iconv --disable-zlib --disable-dxva2 --disable-d3d11va
> > --enable-decoder=tscc
>
> Unrelated:
> The following have no effect, removing them makes debugging
> easier:
> --enable-asm --enable-yasm --disable-libopenjpeg --enable-decoder=tscc
> (You cannot enable tscc with --disable-zlib)
>
> Is there something about iconv that we should know?
> Why are you disabling it?
>
> I believe for historical reasons. Removing everything as you advise
including '--disable-iconv' doesn't affect anything, so I accept these
changes. Thank you.


> Carl Eugen
>
>
Roman Gorelik
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".