trouble installing ffmpeg

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

trouble installing ffmpeg

Jake McGaker
I was following this tutorial on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_KqycyErd8&t=163s and when I get to the
step after I edit the environmental variables and I type in the cmd prompt,
I get an error saying ffmpeg didn't install.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: trouble installing ffmpeg

Carl Zwanzig
On 7/22/2020 1:53 PM, Jake McGaker wrote:
> and when I get to the
> step after I edit the environmental variables and I type in the cmd prompt,
> I get an error saying ffmpeg didn't install.

Almost no one here is going to watch the video, please just explain what's
going on and include the command and output of what you're doing in the
email. (And do not top-post when replying.)

Which OS?
Where did you get ffmpeg?
Are you trying to -build- it or install pre-build binaries?
What commands?

z!
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: trouble installing ffmpeg

Jake McGaker
Ok, don't totally know what you're saying. I have an mkv file that I need
to convert to an mp4 and I was told on reddit that using ffmpeg is the best
way to do that. I downloaded version 20200721 for windows 10 64 bit static.
I'll just say what the In the tutorial it instructed me to then move the
files from the bin, to a folder I created on my hard drive. Then I was
instructed to edit the system environment variables to add the folder I had
just moved the contents of the download to. Then you are supposed to type
the location of the folder, copy and paste it into the cmd prompt, but I
keep getting the error, "'C:\ffmpeg' is not recognized as an internal or
external command," Apparently following this tutorial should've helped me
download/install this program. Please be patient with me, this is the first
I've heard of the program and I really need to know how to use it for
something I'm working on.
operable program or batch file.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:59 PM Carl Zwanzig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/22/2020 1:53 PM, Jake McGaker wrote:
> > and when I get to the
> > step after I edit the environmental variables and I type in the cmd
> prompt,
> > I get an error saying ffmpeg didn't install.
>
> Almost no one here is going to watch the video, please just explain what's
> going on and include the command and output of what you're doing in the
> email. (And do not top-post when replying.)
>
> Which OS?
> Where did you get ffmpeg?
> Are you trying to -build- it or install pre-build binaries?
> What commands?
>
> z!
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: trouble installing ffmpeg

Jake McGaker
oh it's windows 10 64bit and I got the download from
https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
Idk the last two things you asked

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 5:18 PM Jake McGaker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Ok, don't totally know what you're saying. I have an mkv file that I need
> to convert to an mp4 and I was told on reddit that using ffmpeg is the best
> way to do that. I downloaded version 20200721 for windows 10 64 bit static.
> I'll just say what the In the tutorial it instructed me to then move the
> files from the bin, to a folder I created on my hard drive. Then I was
> instructed to edit the system environment variables to add the folder I had
> just moved the contents of the download to. Then you are supposed to type
> the location of the folder, copy and paste it into the cmd prompt, but I
> keep getting the error, "'C:\ffmpeg' is not recognized as an internal or
> external command," Apparently following this tutorial should've helped me
> download/install this program. Please be patient with me, this is the first
> I've heard of the program and I really need to know how to use it for
> something I'm working on.
> operable program or batch file.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:59 PM Carl Zwanzig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 7/22/2020 1:53 PM, Jake McGaker wrote:
>> > and when I get to the
>> > step after I edit the environmental variables and I type in the cmd
>> prompt,
>> > I get an error saying ffmpeg didn't install.
>>
>> Almost no one here is going to watch the video, please just explain
>> what's
>> going on and include the command and output of what you're doing in the
>> email. (And do not top-post when replying.)
>>
>> Which OS?
>> Where did you get ffmpeg?
>> Are you trying to -build- it or install pre-build binaries?
>> What commands?
>>
>> z!
>> _______________________________________________
>> ffmpeg-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>>
>> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
>> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
>
>
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: trouble installing ffmpeg

Dan Bridges
In reply to this post by Jake McGaker
On 23/07/2020 7:18 am, Jake McGaker wrote:
> "'C:\ffmpeg' is not recognized as an internal or
> external command,"

This means that you are trying to run ffmpeg.exe from the the root
directory i.e. "c:\". What you need to do is put ffmpeg.exe (and any
associated AV utility programs) in a directory that's included in  the
directory list stored in in Windows PATH environmental variable. For
example, when I type path PATH at the cmd prompt to see what directories
are listed in my Windows PATH environmental variable:

PATH=C:\Mingw\media-autobuild_suite-master\local64\bin-video;C:\Mingw\media-autobuild_suite-master\local64\bin-audio;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program
Files
(x86);C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
Files (x86)\GNU\GnuPG;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinMerge;C:\Program Files
(x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files
(x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common
Files\Acronis\VirtualFile\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common
Files\Acronis\VirtualFile64\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common
Files\Acronis\SnapAPI\;C:\Program Files\nodejs\;C:\Program
Files\gnuplot\bin;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Gpg4win\..\GnuPG\bin;C:\Program
Files\dotnet\;C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;d:\YouTube_dl;C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Program
Files (x86)\AutoIt3;C:\Program Files
(x86)\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe;c:\utilities;C:\Program
Files\VideoLAN\VLC;C:\Program Files\smartmontools\bin

Because I'm using Autobuild to compile FFMPEG under Windows, I've got
"C:\Mingw\media-autobuild_suite-master\local64\bin-video" in this list
because that's where Autobuild creates ffmpeg.exe. Otherwise I'd have it
stored in "C:\utilities" which is where I place a host of small useful
programs.

Say I type FFMPEG and press Enter, the Windows command processor looks
for ffmpeg.com, ffmpeg.exe, ffmpeg.cmd, ffmpeg.bat, and I think
ffmpeg.vbs (Visual BASIC program). It looks for these programs first in
the current directory, then in my PATH list of directories.

To get instructions on how to alter of add to the list of  in your PATH:

* In Settings, in the search box, type PATH, and click on "Edit the
system environmental variables".
* Click on "Environmental Variables" button.
* In the"System  variables" box, select the "path" entry, and then 
click on the "Edit" button.
* Click on the "New" button and add the directory where ffmpeg.exe is
situated e.g. C:\Utilities

See here for a screengrab: 
https://dll.dropbox.com/s/622mvi71vw798vx/Editing_path_list.jpg

Note: in widows File Explorer you can create a directory ("New folder"
option) and then copy or move ffmpeg.exe to it.  To get to a cmd prompt
in this specific directory, navigate to it so it's showing in the File
Explorer's address bar. Then type in this box "cmd" and  press Enter.

Dan.



_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".