iOS/watchOS/tvOS/macOS Frameworks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

iOS/watchOS/tvOS/macOS Frameworks

Ronak Patel
Hi all,

I'm trying to use Ffmpeg inside of an Apple framework; (built for all of Apple's platforms). Unfortunately; I'm learning that Apple does not support embedding .dylibs inside of .frameworks anywhere but macOS environments.

Therefore, I'm trying to find out the best way to convert the Ffmpeg .dylibs to .frameworks.

I tried to just package the .dylibs (rename it) and make a .framework manually, but libavfilter (and the other libs) all depend on headers defined in libavutil...has anyone already figured out how to do this conversion?

If we have, does Ffmpeg support building as .frameworks from the get go?

Thanks,

Ronak
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS/watchOS/tvOS/macOS Frameworks

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
2018-12-19 17:08 GMT+01:00, Ronak <[hidden email]>:

> I'm trying to use Ffmpeg inside of an Apple framework; (built for all of
> Apple's platforms). Unfortunately; I'm learning that Apple does not support
> embedding .dylibs inside of .frameworks anywhere but macOS environments.

What is your exact use-case?

Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS/watchOS/tvOS/macOS Frameworks

Ronak Patel


> On Dec 19, 2018, at 11:15 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 2018-12-19 17:08 GMT+01:00, Ronak <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I'm trying to use Ffmpeg inside of an Apple framework; (built for all of
>> Apple's platforms). Unfortunately; I'm learning that Apple does not support
>> embedding .dylibs inside of .frameworks anywhere but macOS environments.
>
> What is your exact use-case?

I have a Player framework (.framework) that uses Ffmpeg to equalize audio using the equalizer, bass & treble filters (so I'm using avfilter and avutil).
I need to embed this Player Framework into my app that I can submit to the App Store.

>
> Carl Eugen
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".

_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS/watchOS/tvOS/macOS Frameworks

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
2018-12-19 19:50 GMT+01:00, Ronak <[hidden email]>:

>
>> On Dec 19, 2018, at 11:15 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 2018-12-19 17:08 GMT+01:00, Ronak <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> I'm trying to use Ffmpeg inside of an Apple framework; (built for all of
>>> Apple's platforms). Unfortunately; I'm learning that Apple does not
>>> support embedding .dylibs inside of .frameworks anywhere but
>>> macOS environments.
>>
>> What is your exact use-case?
>
> I have a Player framework (.framework) that uses Ffmpeg to equalize
> audio using the equalizer, bass & treble filters (so I'm using avfilter
> and avutil).
> I need to embed this Player Framework into my app that I can
> submit to the App Store.

How are you planning to fulfill the obligations of the (L)GPL when
distributing your layer framework? I ask because many developers
find that difficult.

What's wrong with static linking?

Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS/watchOS/tvOS/macOS Frameworks

kumowoon1025
In reply to this post by Ronak Patel


> On Dec 19, 2018, at 13:50, Ronak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a Player framework (.framework) that uses Ffmpeg to equalize audio using the equalizer, bass & treble filters (so I'm using avfilter and avutil).
> I need to embed this Player Framework into my app that I can submit to the App Store.
>

I’m confused, are you trying to create a framework that uses ffmpeg, or build the libraries you need into a framework to use in development of an app to distribute through the App Store?

I was also under the impression that LGPL was largely incompatible with the developer program agreements.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS/watchOS/tvOS/macOS Frameworks

Taner Sener
In reply to this post by Ronak Patel
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 19:08, Ronak <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>
> Therefore, I'm trying to find out the best way to convert the Ffmpeg
.dylibs to .frameworks.
>
> I tried to just package the .dylibs (rename it) and make a .framework
manually, but libavfilter (and the other libs) all depend on headers
defined in libavutil...has anyone already figured out how to do this
conversion?
>

I'm not sure if this is what you look for, but you can create a different
.framework for each .dylib file. At the end you will have libavcodec.framework,
libavdevice.framework, libavfilter.framework, etc. Then you can link your
framework to them.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS/watchOS/tvOS/macOS Frameworks

Ronak Patel


> On Dec 20, 2018, at 1:03 AM, Taner Sener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 19:08, Ronak <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Therefore, I'm trying to find out the best way to convert the Ffmpeg
> .dylibs to .frameworks.
>>
>> I tried to just package the .dylibs (rename it) and make a .framework
> manually, but libavfilter (and the other libs) all depend on headers
> defined in libavutil...has anyone already figured out how to do this
> conversion?
>>
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you look for, but you can create a different
> .framework for each .dylib file. At the end you will have libavcodec.framework,
> libavdevice.framework, libavfilter.framework, etc. Then you can link your
> framework to them.


Yup that’s what I tried but the headers include headers from the other frameworks (like avutil). And it didn’t compile.

Frameworks aren’t really set up to support including the way that ffmpeg does it.

The other options I can think of are to switch to static linking and stuff that into a framework (combining all of the libs into one static lib and thus one .framework).

As for distribution and the license, my companies lawyers have indicated it would be okay as long as we follow the requirements but we will check with them again before shipping.

> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".

_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".