how to use ffprobe with Windows7

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

how to use ffprobe with Windows7

Michael Koch
My question is how to use ffprobe on a Windows7 system. So far, I've
used the following three step procedure:

1. create or edit a batch file which contains two lines:
       c://ffmpeg/ffprobe myvideo.mp4
       pause
2. save the batch file
3. start the batch file

This works fine but it's time consuming.

I could create a link to ffprobe on the desktop, and draw the video with
the mouse over this link. Then the problem is that the window closes
immediately when ffprobe has finished. Is there any trick to avoid that
the window closes?

Thanks,
Michael


_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to use ffprobe with Windows7

Kieran O Leary
On Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 08:21 Michael Koch <[hidden email] wrote:

> My question is how to use ffprobe on a Windows7 system. So far, I've
> used the following three step procedure:
>
> 1. create or edit a batch file which contains two lines:
>        c://ffmpeg/ffprobe myvideo.mp4
>        pause
> 2. save the batch file
> 3. start the batch file
>
> This works fine but it's time consuming.
>
> I could create a link to ffprobe on the desktop, and draw the video with
> the mouse over this link. Then the problem is that the window closes
> immediately when ffprobe has finished. Is there any trick to avoid that
> the window closes?
>

Yes, open CMD,then drag and drop the batch file into the terminal window
and press Enter.
Or just run ffprobe directly in the terminal.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to use ffprobe with Windows7

Michael Koch

> Yes, open CMD,then drag and drop the batch file into the terminal window
> and press Enter.
> Or just run ffprobe directly in the terminal.

I was looking for a faster solution, without having to write video's
name and path into the batch file, or into the CMD window. Just drag and
drop and then I'd like to see the output of ffprobe.

Michael
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to use ffprobe with Windows7

Kieran O Leary
On Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 09:00 Michael Koch <[hidden email] wrote:

>
> > Yes, open CMD,then drag and drop the batch file into the terminal window
> > and press Enter.
> > Or just run ffprobe directly in the terminal.
>
> I was looking for a faster solution, without having to write video's
> name and path into the batch file, or into the CMD window. Just drag and
> drop and then I'd like to see the output of ffprobe.
>


Isn't there some way to set a variable,like $1 in bash? I think it's %1 in
CMD. If you replace your filename with they variable, it should do what you
want. Then add something like
PAUSE
To the end of your bat file to stop the window closing.
I know very little about bat though.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to use ffprobe with Windows7

Dan Bridges
In reply to this post by Michael Koch
On 22/11/2018 7:00 PM, Michael Koch wrote:
>
>> Yes, open CMD,then drag and drop the batch file into the terminal window
>> and press Enter.
>> Or just run ffprobe directly in the terminal.
>
> I was looking for a faster solution, without having to write video's
> name and path into the batch file, or into the CMD window. Just drag
> and drop and then I'd like to see the output of ffprobe.

The fastest solution is to create a shortcut icon on your desktop with
this target line:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /K ffprobe

This assumes ffprobe.exe is in your executable PATH list. Otherwise,
fully specially the path to it e.g

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /K C:\ffmpeg\ffprobe

You can then drag your MP4 on to this icon Which you could call "Run
ffprobe".

The /K switch will keep the command prompt window open afterwards.
You can type EXIT to close it.

Alternately, change your "Run ffprobe.bat" batchfile to this:

@echo off
c:\ffmpeg\ffprobe %1
pause

The %1 takes the name of the filename you drag-and-drop onto the
batchile icon, if running from the desktop, or type after the batchfile,
if operating from the CLI.
Then, drag your MP4 on to this icon, and press Enter to close the window
when finished.

Dan.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to use ffprobe with Windows7

Michael Koch

> Alternately, change your "Run ffprobe.bat" batchfile to this:
>
> @echo off
> c:\ffmpeg\ffprobe %1
> pause
>
> The %1 takes the name of the filename you drag-and-drop onto the
> batchile icon, if running from the desktop, or type after the batchfile,
> if operating from the CLI.
> Then, drag your MP4 on to this icon, and press Enter to close the window
> when finished.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

Michael

_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".