Split a video file in two by size and merge it back

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Split a video file in two by size and merge it back

Julien Dotsev
Hi,
Is it possible to split a video in two by size and merge it back to the
original file? Can that merged file be exactly the same as the original one?

Julien
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Split a video file in two by size and merge it back

Carl Zwanzig
On 10/16/2019 5:10 PM, Julien Dotsev wrote:
> Is it possible to split a video in two by size and merge it back to the
> original file? Can that merged file be exactly the same as the original one?

By size? Is that half the number of seconds, of v or a frames, packets, or
bytes?

Split how? Does that mean using ffmpeg or an editor to take the the first n
seconds/frames and the remainder or using a low-level took to take the first
n BYTES and the remainder? In the latter, the second file probably won't be
playable.

What is "the same"?
If you mean bit-for-bit the same, highly unlikely. If you mean having the
same content, then possibly (depending on codecs, split point, and probably
other factors).

In other words, please expand on the question.

Later,

z!
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Split a video file in two by size and merge it back

Julien Dotsev
Hi Carl,
By size i mean by bits and by the same i mean identical. Exactly as it was
before.
I can do this programmatically by splitting a file into bits. Than when I
merge it back it will be exactly as the original one. The problem is that I
want to be able to visualize every part. And by this kind of splitting a
video player won't play them.

Julien

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 02:58 Carl Zwanzig, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/16/2019 5:10 PM, Julien Dotsev wrote:
> > Is it possible to split a video in two by size and merge it back to the
> > original file? Can that merged file be exactly the same as the original
> one?
>
> By size? Is that half the number of seconds, of v or a frames, packets, or
> bytes?
>
> Split how? Does that mean using ffmpeg or an editor to take the the first
> n
> seconds/frames and the remainder or using a low-level took to take the
> first
> n BYTES and the remainder? In the latter, the second file probably won't
> be
> playable.
>
> What is "the same"?
> If you mean bit-for-bit the same, highly unlikely. If you mean having the
> same content, then possibly (depending on codecs, split point, and
> probably
> other factors).
>
> In other words, please expand on the question.
>
> Later,
>
> z!
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Split a video file in two by size and merge it back

Dave Stevens
In reply to this post by Julien Dotsev




On Wednesday 16/10/2019 at 5:10 pm, Julien Dotsev  wrote:

> Hi,
> Is it possible to split a video in two by size and merge it back to
> the
> original file? Can that merged file be exactly the same as the
> original one?
>
> Julien
>
>
> there's this: https://www.computerhope.com/unix/usplit.htm
>
>
> d
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
>

_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Split a video file in two by size and merge it back

Julien Dotsev
Hi,
But with usplit command the chunks won't be playable i think. M'i right?

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 03:26 , <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
>
> On Wednesday 16/10/2019 at 5:10 pm, Julien Dotsev  wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Is it possible to split a video in two by size and merge it back to
> > the
> > original file? Can that merged file be exactly the same as the
> > original one?
> >
> > Julien
> >
> >
> > there's this: https://www.computerhope.com/unix/usplit.htm
> >
> >
> > d
> > _______________________________________________
> > ffmpeg-user mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
> >
> > To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> > [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".