Retrieve Specific Format Tag section e.g comments as String Ouput

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Retrieve Specific Format Tag section e.g comments as String Ouput

Otieno Rowland
I would like to retrieve a specific tag section e.g the comments metadata.
I have a huge text exceeding 255, which would get cut-off when reading
ordinary metadata fields.

However, it does not get cut-off in the tag section of the format. Hence, I
would like to be able to just fetch this one field as a string output.

Is there a way to do this via ffprobe or ffmpeg?

--
Sincerely,
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieve Specific Format Tag section e.g comments as String Ouput

Otieno Rowland
I have tried:

ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_entries format=tag:comment -of
default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=0  NG_S1E14.mp4

but that does not seem to work, as it ends with error (Failed to set value
'format=tag:comment' for option 'show_entries': Invalid argument)

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 6:31 AM Otieno Rowland <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I would like to retrieve a specific tag section e.g the comments metadata.
> I have a huge text exceeding 255, which would get cut-off when reading
> ordinary metadata fields.
>
> However, it does not get cut-off in the tag section of the format. Hence,
> I would like to be able to just fetch this one field as a string output.
>
> Is there a way to do this via ffprobe or ffmpeg?
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
>

--
Sincerely,

Rowland
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieve Specific Format Tag section e.g comments as String Ouput

kumowoon1025
> but that does not seem to work, as it ends with error (Failed to set value
> 'format=tag:comment' for option 'show_entries': Invalid argument)

Try format_tag=comment instead
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieve Specific Format Tag section e.g comments as String Ouput

kumowoon1025
In reply to this post by Otieno Rowland
Sorry, I meant format_tags=comment
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieve Specific Format Tag section e.g comments as String Ouput

Otieno Rowland
Unfortunately this results in the error:

No match for section 'format_tag'
Failed to set value 'format_tag:comment' for option 'show_entries': Invalid
argument

The full command used was:

ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_entries format_tag:comment -of
default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=0  NG_S1E14.mp4



On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:05 AM Ted Park <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, I meant format_tags=comment
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".



--
Sincerely,

Rowland
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieve Specific Format Tag section e.g comments as String Ouput

Otieno Rowland
Rectifying that to tags, worked. Hats off, @Ted.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 8:26 AM Otieno Rowland <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Unfortunately this results in the error:
>
> No match for section 'format_tag'
> Failed to set value 'format_tag:comment' for option 'show_entries':
> Invalid argument
>
> The full command used was:
>
> ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_entries format_tag:comment -of
> default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=0  NG_S1E14.mp4
>
>
>
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:05 AM Ted Park <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I meant format_tags=comment
>> _______________________________________________
>> ffmpeg-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>>
>> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
>> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
>
>
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Rowland
>


--
Sincerely,

Rowland
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieve Specific Format Tag section e.g comments as String Ouput

Otieno Rowland
Is it possible that this same information can be retrieved using FFmpeg
instead of FFprobe? Any hints?

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 8:32 AM Otieno Rowland <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Rectifying that to tags, worked. Hats off, @Ted.
>
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 8:26 AM Otieno Rowland <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately this results in the error:
>>
>> No match for section 'format_tag'
>> Failed to set value 'format_tag:comment' for option 'show_entries':
>> Invalid argument
>>
>> The full command used was:
>>
>> ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_entries format_tag:comment -of
>> default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=0  NG_S1E14.mp4
>>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:05 AM Ted Park <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I meant format_tags=comment
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> ffmpeg-user mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>>>
>>> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
>>> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Rowland
>>
>
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Rowland
>


--
Sincerely,

Rowland
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieve Specific Format Tag section e.g comments as String Ouput

kumowoon1025
> Is it possible that this same information can be retrieved using FFmpeg
> instead of FFprobe? Any hints?

The approach is somewhat different in nature but you can use the ffmetadata muxer and grep for the tag you want. e.g.

 % ffmpeg -i input -f ffmetadata -
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".