How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Dan9er
For a job, I have received some AVI files with visible artifacts on them. I am tasked with removing the artifacts. These video files are movies rendered using MovieShaker, and the raw footage does not have artifacts.

Is there a way to remove these artifacts, preferably with as little loss of quality as possible?

Command:
ffmpeg -loglevel repeat+level+info -i in.avi -c copy -copyts out.mkv 1>info.txt 2>&1

info.txt:
https://pastebin.com/aNj0vAtM

in.avi:
https://ufile.io/ncu46

out.mkv:
https://ufile.io/pysqt

I will also provide debug and trace lags on request.

Thank you!
Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Carl Zwanzig
On 12/14/2018 2:56 PM, Dan9er wrote:
> Is there a way to remove these artifacts, preferably with as little loss
> of quality as possible?
Would you put up some single-frames showing the artifacts, or some short
clips, so no one has to download 400+ MB.

z!
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
In reply to this post by Dan9er
2018-12-14 23:56 GMT+01:00, Dan9er <[hidden email]>:
> For a job, I have received some AVI files with visible artifacts on them. I
> am tasked with removing the artifacts. These video files are movies
> rendered using MovieShaker, and the raw footage does not have artifacts.
>
> Is there a way to remove these artifacts, preferably with as little loss of
> quality as possible?

I suspect the error correction for dv could be improved but I strongly
suggest you redo the job with the raw footage as this will not be solved
in short time.

Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
In reply to this post by Carl Zwanzig
2018-12-15 2:16 GMT+01:00, Carl Zwanzig <[hidden email]>:
> On 12/14/2018 2:56 PM, Dan9er wrote:
>> Is there a way to remove these artifacts, preferably with as
>> little loss of quality as possible?
>
> Would you put up some single-frames showing the artifacts,
> or some short clips, so no one has to download 400+ MB.

Not directly related to this issue but please note that two issues
were reported against FFmpeg over the last years where the
samples were >10G, so this comment is neither correct nor
does it give the right incentives imo.
(We love samples.)

Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Dan9er
In reply to this post by Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
2018-12-14 20:20 GMT-05:00, Carl Eugen Hoyos [hidden email]:

> 2018-12-14 23:56 GMT+01:00, Dan9er [hidden email]:
>
> > For a job, I have received some AVI files with visible artifacts on them. I
> > am tasked with removing the artifacts. These video files are movies
> > rendered using MovieShaker, and the raw footage does not have artifacts.
> > Is there a way to remove these artifacts, preferably with as little loss of
> > quality as possible?
>
> I suspect the error correction for dv could be improved but I strongly
> suggest you redo the job with the raw footage as this will not be solved
> in short time.
>
> Carl Eugen

First of all I didn't expect to get a reply so quickly, so thank you very much for paying attention to my thread.

Is there a way to reduce these artifacts by using one of ffmpeg's filters? Some artifacts are better than having to re-edit these videos again, due to... uh... private reasons I won't share on a public mailing list.

Thank you.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Carl Zwanzig
In reply to this post by Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
On 12/14/2018 5:22 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Not directly related to this issue but please note that two issues
> were reported against FFmpeg over the last years where the
> samples were >10G, so this comment is neither correct nor
> does it give the right incentives imo.

My comment is quite correct and on-point. If the artifacts _can_ be shown in
a single frame or a short clip there's no reason to _not_ to provide those,
and that doesn't preclude _also_ making larger files available (inclusive
OR, not exclusive OR).

Having smaller samples available actually widens the group of people willing
look at them; not everyone has gigabit Ethernet to their home or office,
some of us have considerably slower 'net connections and we're not as likely
to download a large file but will look at the frames and shorter clips.
(Please do me the courtesy of not disagreeing with that as it directly
states my position and that of some fellow engineers.)

> (We love samples.)

We do, well, I do, although large samples are not always necessary, or even
desirable (if 5MB shows the problem, why include 200MB?). Log files need the
same handling- make the full log available but also excerpt the relevant
parts so people don't need to wade through thousands of lines looking for
the two that are useful. If some folks don't want to look at the excepts,
they don't have to, but some of us will.

z!
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
2018-12-15 2:57 GMT+01:00, Carl Zwanzig <[hidden email]>:
> On 12/14/2018 5:22 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>> (We love samples.)
>
> We do, well, I do, although large samples are not
> always necessary, or even desirable

That's why we have a 2.5 MB size limit on the bug tracker.

I just want to make absolutely clear that I want to encourage
users to report issues, even if the necessary samples are
bigger than a few MB.

Carl Eugen

(who, iirc, has a 20Mbit Internet connection)
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
In reply to this post by Dan9er
2018-12-15 2:54 GMT+01:00, dan9er <[hidden email]>:

> Is there a way to reduce these artifacts by using one
> of ffmpeg's filters?

I cannot rule it out but looking at the type of the artefacts
I think it is not very likely.
I also confirmed that the same issues are visible not using
FFmpeg to decode.

Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Carl Zwanzig
In reply to this post by Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
On 12/14/2018 6:07 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> I just want to make absolutely clear that I want to encourage
> users to report issues, even if the necessary samples are
> bigger than a few MB.

We certainly agree on that.

> (who, iirc, has a 20Mbit Internet connection)

The need of a static IP limits my location to 1.5mbps DSL, blame USA telecom
policies.

z!
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

jd1008
In reply to this post by Dan9er
I too would like to know how to remove such artifacts.


On 12/14/2018 03:56 PM, Dan9er wrote:

> For a job, I have received some AVI files with visible artifacts on them. I am tasked with removing the artifacts. These video files are movies rendered using MovieShaker, and the raw footage does not have artifacts.
>
> Is there a way to remove these artifacts, preferably with as little loss of quality as possible?
>
> Command:
> ffmpeg -loglevel repeat+level+info -i in.avi -c copy -copyts out.mkv 1>info.txt 2>&1
>
> info.txt:
> https://pastebin.com/aNj0vAtM
>
> in.avi:
> https://ufile.io/ncu46
>
> out.mkv:
> https://ufile.io/pysqt
>
> I will also provide debug and trace lags on request.
>
> Thank you!
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email]  with subject "unsubscribe".

_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Dan9er
In reply to this post by Carl Zwanzig
On 12/14/2018 8:57 PM, Carl Zwanzig wrote:

> On 12/14/2018 5:22 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>
> > Not directly related to this issue but please note that two issues
> > were reported against FFmpeg over the last years where the
> > samples were >10G, so this comment is neither correct nor
> > does it give the right incentives imo.
>
> My comment is quite correct and on-point. If the artifactscan be shown in
> a single frame or a short clip there's no reason to not to provide those,
> and that doesn't preclude also making larger files available (inclusive
> OR, not exclusive OR).
>
> Having smaller samples available actually widens the group of people willing
> look at them; not everyone has gigabit Ethernet to their home or office,
> some of us have considerably slower 'net connections and we're not as likely
> to download a large file but will look at the frames and shorter clips.
> (Please do me the courtesy of not disagreeing with that as it directly
> states my position and that of some fellow engineers.)
>
> > (We love samples.)
>
> We do, well, I do, although large samples are not always necessary, or even
> desirable (if 5MB shows the problem, why include 200MB?). Log files need the
> same handling- make the full log available but also excerpt the relevant
> parts so people don't need to wade through thousands of lines looking for
> the two that are useful. If some folks don't want to look at the excepts,
> they don't have to, but some of us will.
>
> z!
>
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".

To both of you: let me remind you that another mailing list guideline is to not hijack threads. If you want to debate sample sizes further please start a new thread. But for now, please stay on topic.

Thank you.
Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Dave Rice-3
In reply to this post by Carl Eugen Hoyos-2

> On Dec 14, 2018, at 9:10 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 2018-12-15 2:54 GMT+01:00, dan9er <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Is there a way to reduce these artifacts by using one
>> of ffmpeg's filters?
>
> I cannot rule it out but looking at the type of the artefacts
> I think it is not very likely.
> I also confirmed that the same issues are visible not using
> FFmpeg to decode.

The dv stream shows a lot of video error concealment because the data was originally stored on a dv tape and then transferred over firewire to a computer; however the dv tape player was having difficulties reading the tape (various dv dif blocks would mismatch their parity data) so many dif blocks are concealed or broken. I’d really suggest that the best way to repair this would be to work with the original tape, clean the head of the playback deck and retransfer. In a better playback environment you’ll likely get a more accurate reading of the data from the tape.
Dave Rice
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Dan9er
>On Dec 17, 2018, 4:31 PM, Dave Rice wrote:
>
>> On Dec 14, 2018, at 9:10 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos  wrote:
>>
>> 2018-12-15 2:54 GMT+01:00, dan9er :
>>
>>> Is there a way to reduce these artifacts by using one
>>> of ffmpeg's filters?
>>
>> I cannot rule it out but looking at the type of the artefacts
>> I think it is not very likely.
>> I also confirmed that the same issues are visible not using
>> FFmpeg to decode.

> The dv stream shows a lot of video error
> concealment because the data was originally stored
> on a dv tape and then transferred over firewire to a
> computer; however the dv tape player was having
> difficulties reading the tape (various dv dif blocks
> would mismatch their parity data) so many dif
> blocks are concealed or broken. I’d really suggest
> that the best way to repair this would be to work
> with the original tape, clean the head of the
> playback deck and retransfer. In a better playback
> environment you’ll likely get a more accurate
> reading of the data from the tape.
> Dave Rice

I said in my original post that these artifacted files are renders from a movie editing program called MovieShaker. The raw files do not have the artifacts.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Carl Zwanzig
On 12/17/2018 3:39 PM, dan9er wrote:
> I said in my original post that these artifacted files are renders from a
> movie editing program called MovieShaker. The raw files do not have the
> artifacts.
Are these recent edits or ancient (it looks like movieshaker is >15 years
old)? No chance of re-editing with more modern software? (I'll assume not.)

Any artifact that impairs the image is lost information, so removing it
means either masking it off or interpolating from the surrounding areas.
ffmpeg may be the wrong tool for the job, you might want to look at things
like lightworks or da vinci resolve.

Later,

z!
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Dan9er
On Monday, December 17, 2018 11:53 PM, Carl Zwanzig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ffmpeg may be the wrong tool for the job, you might want to look at things
> like lightworks or da vinci resolve.

Da Vinci Resolve...

Oh my god. This editor is SO MUCH BETTER than my VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum 15, and it's FREE!?

Thank you so much for bringing this editor to my attention! You just saved me a couple hundred bucks I was planning to spend on VEGAS Pro!

Oh uh, anyway do you know any DaVR forums I can ask for help with this problem? I can't find any.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".