Converting 4:2:2 pro-res to 4:2:0 for AVC encoding

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Converting 4:2:2 pro-res to 4:2:0 for AVC encoding

Pradeep Ramachandran
Hi all,
I have some mov files that contain 4K movies in 4:2:2 10-bit. I would like
to encode these to 10-bit 4:2:0 using x265. Since mov doesn't support
4:2:0, I am not able to convert these prior to encoding. The other option
is to convert to 4:2:0 and pipe to x265 binary using mpeg4yuv pipe, but
that would mean inter-process communication between ffmpeg and x265.

Is there any way that I can convert from yuv 4:2:2 10-bit to yuv 4:2:0
10-bit and pass to libx265 on the fly without going through inter-process
communication?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Pradeep.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Converting 4:2:2 pro-res to 4:2:0 for AVC encoding

Moritz Barsnick
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 14:21:44 +0530, Pradeep Ramachandran wrote:
> Hi all,

Your e-mail is very confusing (to me), it's not quite clear what you're
trying to achieve.

> Subject: [FFmpeg-user] Converting 4:2:2 pro-res to 4:2:0 for AVC encoding
[...]
> I would like to encode these to 10-bit 4:2:0 using x265.

x265 does not encode AVC, it encodes HEVC. x264 is for AVC.

> Since mov doesn't support 4:2:0

It doesn't? Or it does't support yuv420p10? And if it doesn't, why are
you using mov at all, if your target is to encode yuv420p10?

> I am not able to convert these prior to encoding. The other option
> is to convert to 4:2:0 and pipe to x265 binary using mpeg4yuv pipe, but
> that would mean inter-process communication between ffmpeg and x265.

Why would you pipe to the binary, instead of using ffmpeg's integration
of libx265? The only reasons I can think of is:
- your ffmpeg isn't compiled with libx265;
- your ffmpeg's libx265 doesn't support 10-bit video (I can only guess,
  because mine from Zeranoe doesn't seem to).

> Is there any way that I can convert from yuv 4:2:2 10-bit to yuv 4:2:0
> 10-bit and pass to libx265 on the fly without going through inter-process
> communication?

Normally, you would simply use:
$ ffmpeg -i inputfile -pix_fmt yuv420p10 -c:v libx265 -c:a copy outputfile

ffmpeg will then tell you whether libx265 cannot handle yuv420p10.

Moritz
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Converting 4:2:2 pro-res to 4:2:0 for AVC encoding

Pradeep Ramachandran
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 14:21:44 +0530, Pradeep Ramachandran wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> Your e-mail is very confusing (to me), it's not quite clear what you're
> trying to achieve.
>
> > Subject: [FFmpeg-user] Converting 4:2:2 pro-res to 4:2:0 for AVC encoding
> [...]
> > I would like to encode these to 10-bit 4:2:0 using x265.
>
> x265 does not encode AVC, it encodes HEVC. x264 is for AVC.
>

Sorry, my bad here. I meant to encode HEVC using libx265.


>
> > Since mov doesn't support 4:2:0
>
> It doesn't? Or it does't support yuv420p10? And if it doesn't, why are
> you using mov at all, if your target is to encode yuv420p10?
>

mov doesn't seem to support yuv420p10le. I am still stuck with mov as the
player that I am using to stream the input video can only stream in mov
format


>
> > I am not able to convert these prior to encoding. The other option
> > is to convert to 4:2:0 and pipe to x265 binary using mpeg4yuv pipe, but
> > that would mean inter-process communication between ffmpeg and x265.
>
> Why would you pipe to the binary, instead of using ffmpeg's integration
> of libx265? The only reasons I can think of is:
> - your ffmpeg isn't compiled with libx265;
> - your ffmpeg's libx265 doesn't support 10-bit video (I can only guess,
>   because mine from Zeranoe doesn't seem to).
>

I was wondering if I had to pipe because I want to convert from yuv422p10le
to yuv42010le on the fly, and send it on the fly to x265 (which is also
compiled with 10-bit support as it is compiled from source).


> > Is there any way that I can convert from yuv 4:2:2 10-bit to yuv 4:2:0
> > 10-bit and pass to libx265 on the fly without going through inter-process
> > communication?
>
> Normally, you would simply use:
> $ ffmpeg -i inputfile -pix_fmt yuv420p10 -c:v libx265 -c:a copy outputfile
>

But this isn't for a live stream, this is only for a file conversion. I am
interested in doing a live stream.


>
> ffmpeg will then tell you whether libx265 cannot handle yuv420p10.
>
> Moritz
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Converting 4:2:2 pro-res to 4:2:0 for AVC encoding

Andy Furniss-2
Pradeep Ramachandran wrote:

> mov doesn't seem to support yuv420p10le. I am still stuck with mov
> as the player that I am using to stream the input video can only
> stream in mov format

Tested 10 bit libx264 and libx265 and both will write to mov with
current ffmpeg.

Maybe you need to build/install 10 bit versions of libx264/5 or maybe
it's not that easy if you are on windows - which I know nothing about
ffmpeg wise.

_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Loading...