Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

FFmpeg-users mailing list
I have an old tv that plays usb sticks and we use it for that.
But some formats pic and video it won't accept.
Not being into it I don't really understand why or what.
This time I have a bunch of microbe animations and it plays some and some it says 'unsupported format'.
I note the details of two of the 'unsupported' formats:

1.  mp4.  1920 x 1080  423kbps  24 fps2.  mp4   1280 x 720  672kbps  30 fps
and one file that it plays happily:
mp4  854 x 478  853 kbps  25fps.
Can anyone detect what the basic problem is and can I fix it by running the files through ffmpeg with the appropriate command line, whatever that might be?
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

Goran Obal
mp4 is just a container, we need to know what is inside this container.
What video, what audio!
Use ffprobe on those files and send us the results.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 8:45 AM arthur brogard via ffmpeg-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an old tv that plays usb sticks and we use it for that.
> But some formats pic and video it won't accept.
> Not being into it I don't really understand why or what.
> This time I have a bunch of microbe animations and it plays some and some
> it says 'unsupported format'.
> I note the details of two of the 'unsupported' formats:
>
> 1.  mp4.  1920 x 1080  423kbps  24 fps2.  mp4   1280 x 720  672kbps  30 fps
> and one file that it plays happily:
> mp4  854 x 478  853 kbps  25fps.
> Can anyone detect what the basic problem is and can I fix it by running
> the files through ffmpeg with the appropriate command line, whatever that
> might be?
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

Erik Dobák
In reply to this post by FFmpeg-users mailing list
hard to say but in your case it might be the resolution.
E

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 08:45, arthur brogard via ffmpeg-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an old tv that plays usb sticks and we use it for that.
> But some formats pic and video it won't accept.
> Not being into it I don't really understand why or what.
> This time I have a bunch of microbe animations and it plays some and some
> it says 'unsupported format'.
> I note the details of two of the 'unsupported' formats:
>
> 1.  mp4.  1920 x 1080  423kbps  24 fps2.  mp4   1280 x 720  672kbps  30 fps
> and one file that it plays happily:
> mp4  854 x 478  853 kbps  25fps.
> Can anyone detect what the basic problem is and can I fix it by running
> the files through ffmpeg with the appropriate command line, whatever that
> might be?
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

FFmpeg-users mailing list
In reply to this post by FFmpeg-users mailing list
Hello!

TVs usually fall over if it’s an unsupported frame rate, looks like yours needs it to be 25 FPS. You can can switch this with FFmpeg command:
-r 25

There’s more here:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/ChangingFrameRate

Joanna

> On 30 Oct 2019, at 07:45, arthur brogard via ffmpeg-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have an old tv that plays usb sticks and we use it for that.
> But some formats pic and video it won't accept.
> Not being into it I don't really understand why or what.
> This time I have a bunch of microbe animations and it plays some and some it says 'unsupported format'.
> I note the details of two of the 'unsupported' formats:
>
> 1.  mp4.  1920 x 1080  423kbps  24 fps2.  mp4   1280 x 720  672kbps  30 fps
> and one file that it plays happily:
> mp4  854 x 478  853 kbps  25fps.
> Can anyone detect what the basic problem is and can I fix it by running the files through ffmpeg with the appropriate command line, whatever that might be?
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

FFmpeg-users mailing list
Well it looks like it was the frame rate alright.
I now have two of the vids I couldn't run before are running.
Just  how successful it is beyond that I don't know yet.  The sound could possibly go out of sync or something I guess.
Because one of them was a176,280kB file reporting a time length of  25:43  and ffmpeg has made a 170,957kB file out of it with a reported time length of 30:51.
So I haven't checked either of them right to the end but it sure is a good start.
The command line I found that works is:
ffmpeg -y -r 25 -i infile.mp4 outfile.mp4 simple as that.
So far so good.  Thanks for all the help. 

:)

-------------------------------------
Remember Brandolini's Law and look around.

 

    On Wednesday, 30 October 2019, 6:32:50 pm ACDT, Joanna White via ffmpeg-user <[hidden email]> wrote:  
 
 Hello!

TVs usually fall over if it’s an unsupported frame rate, looks like yours needs it to be 25 FPS. You can can switch this with FFmpeg command:
-r 25

There’s more here:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/ChangingFrameRate

Joanna

> On 30 Oct 2019, at 07:45, arthur brogard via ffmpeg-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have an old tv that plays usb sticks and we use it for that.
> But some formats pic and video it won't accept.
> Not being into it I don't really understand why or what.
> This time I have a bunch of microbe animations and it plays some and some it says 'unsupported format'.
> I note the details of two of the 'unsupported' formats:
>
> 1.  mp4.  1920 x 1080  423kbps  24 fps2.  mp4  1280 x 720  672kbps  30 fps
> and one file that it plays happily:
> mp4  854 x 478  853 kbps  25fps.
> Can anyone detect what the basic problem is and can I fix it by running the files through ffmpeg with the appropriate command line, whatever that might be?
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".  
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2


> Am 30.10.2019 um 10:48 schrieb arthur brogard via ffmpeg-user <[hidden email]>:
>
> ffmpeg -y -r 25 -i infile.mp4 outfile.mp4

This will almost certainly lead to A/V desync (if not, then only because of a bug).

Please find out what top-posting means and avoid it here, Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

Reindl Harald


Am 30.10.19 um 11:14 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
>> Am 30.10.2019 um 10:48 schrieb arthur brogard via ffmpeg-user <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> ffmpeg -y -r 25 -i infile.mp4 outfile.mp4
>
> This will almost certainly lead to A/V desync (if not, then only because of a bug).
why?
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2


> Am 30.10.2019 um 11:27 schrieb Reindl Harald <[hidden email]>:
>
>
>
> Am 30.10.19 um 11:14 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
>>> Am 30.10.2019 um 10:48 schrieb arthur brogard via ffmpeg-user <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> ffmpeg -y -r 25 -i infile.mp4 outfile.mp4
>>
>> This will almost certainly lead to A/V desync (if not, then only because of a bug).
> why?

Forcing the video speed will lead to A/V desync unless the input is video-only, the input has already the chosen speed or there is a bug in the transcoding application.
Since changing the video speed with the input option r is a very hacking approach in FFmpeg, it does not always work.

Carl Eugen


> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

kumowoon1025
> Forcing the video speed will lead to A/V desync unless the input is video-only, the input has already the chosen speed or there is a bug in the transcoding application.
> Since changing the video speed with the input option r is a very hacking approach in FFmpeg, it does not always work.
>
> Carl Eugen

Could this be avoided at least mostly by forcing it to be 24000/1001 instead? If that solves the issue of the 24fps not playing back on the TV that is. I sort of doubt that the source was actual 24 frames per second, maybe a mishap when it was encoded at some point changed this.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

FFmpeg-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
You've answered before I got to  check for desync.
Okay then.  So what can I use?  This is the only command I've found so far that even runs.
My googling seems to indicate there's a chance this can't be done in ffmpeg in one hit.  I'm not at all clear on it  but I get the idea that we have to convert the file to some other format and then we can process it again to change the frame rate.
Do you happen to know about that?
I suppose it wouldn't be such a hassle if the two steps were in  batch file, come to think of it.
:)


-------------------------------------
Remember Brandolini's Law and look around.

 

    On Wednesday, 30 October 2019, 9:18:03 pm ACDT, Carl Eugen Hoyos <[hidden email]> wrote:  
 
 

> Am 30.10.2019 um 11:27 schrieb Reindl Harald <[hidden email]>:
>
>
>
> Am 30.10.19 um 11:14 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
>>> Am 30.10.2019 um 10:48 schrieb arthur brogard via ffmpeg-user <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> ffmpeg -y -r 25 -i infile.mp4 outfile.mp4
>>
>> This will almost certainly lead to A/V desync (if not, then only because of a bug).
> why?

Forcing the video speed will lead to A/V desync unless the input is video-only, the input has already the chosen speed or there is a bug in the transcoding application.
Since changing the video speed with the input option r is a very hacking approach in FFmpeg, it does not always work.

Carl Eugen


> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".  
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
In reply to this post by kumowoon1025
Am Mi., 30. Okt. 2019 um 17:31 Uhr schrieb Ted Park <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Forcing the video speed will lead to A/V desync unless the input is video-only, the input has already the chosen speed or there is a bug in the transcoding application.
> > Since changing the video speed with the input option r is a very hacking approach in FFmpeg, it does not always work.
> >
> > Carl Eugen
>
> Could this be avoided at least mostly by forcing it to be 24000/1001 instead?

Only if you also change the audio speed.

The simpler solution is to force an output framerate instead of an
input video speed.

Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

kumowoon1025
> Only if you also change the audio speed.
>
> The simpler solution is to force an output framerate instead of an
> input video speed.
>
> Carl Eugen

Simpler maybe… but wouldn’t this result in a frame literally being dropped anytime the drop frame timecode "skips”? And maybe async option could fix the synch issues or through resampler.

Actually that would count as “change the audio speed” wouldn’t it :P Either way, I’d be interested to know how it plays back, maybe if it’s not long enough it wouldn’t be discernible.

_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

FFmpeg-users mailing list
I was trying to find a place where I could view the whole thread at once and found a post that asked me, I think, to find out what 'top posting' means and to avoid it.
Well I've failed to find out.  What I do is hit 'reply' in yahoo mail.  Is that okay or wrong?
:)

-------------------------------------
Remember Brandolini's Law and look around.

 

    On Thursday, 31 October 2019, 11:35:50 am ACDT, Ted Park <[hidden email]> wrote:  
 
 > Only if you also change the audio speed.
>
> The simpler solution is to force an output framerate instead of an
> input video speed.
>
> Carl Eugen

Simpler maybe… but wouldn’t this result in a frame literally being dropped anytime the drop frame timecode "skips”? And maybe async option could fix the synch issues or through resampler.

Actually that would count as “change the audio speed” wouldn’t it :P Either way, I’d be interested to know how it plays back, maybe if it’s not long enough it wouldn’t be discernible.

_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".  
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

Gyan


On 31-10-2019 08:15 AM, arthur brogard via ffmpeg-user wrote:
> I was trying to find a place where I could view the whole thread at once and found a post that asked me, I think, to find out what 'top posting' means and to avoid it.
> Well I've failed to find out.  What I do is hit 'reply' in yahoo mail.  Is that okay or wrong?
> :)

See https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/MailingListEtiquette

Regards,
Gyan
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can ffmpeg convert these mp4 to that mp4?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
In reply to this post by kumowoon1025
Am Do., 31. Okt. 2019 um 02:05 Uhr schrieb Ted Park <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Only if you also change the audio speed.
> >
> > The simpler solution is to force an output framerate instead of an
> > input video speed.

> Simpler maybe… but wouldn’t this result in a frame literally being dropped anytime the drop frame timecode "skips”?

Of course, this can in general not be avoided.
(There are filters that create intermediate pictures but they
take a lot of cpu time)

> And maybe async option could fix the synch issues or through resampler.

Yes, but I don't think this is in general seen as a good solution.

Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".