Are my posts getting to the list?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Are my posts getting to the list?

Mark Filipak
I'm not getting my own posts. No one is responding. I think no one is
getting them.

Please, if you see this, respond so that I know my messages are being seen.

Thanks.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Dorian Green
Hi I see your post :)

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 10:45 AM Mark Filipak <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not getting my own posts. No one is responding. I think no one is
> getting them.
>
> Please, if you see this, respond so that I know my messages are being seen.
>
> Thanks.
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Mark Filipak
Thanks Wayne, John, and Dorian. Sorry for posting a reply to the wrong
post earlier. My email client decided, right at that moment, to take a
dump, and I had to reinstall it.

Cheers,
Mark.

On 12/15/2019 12:25 PM, Dorian Green wrote:

> Hi I see your post :)
>
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 10:45 AM Mark Filipak <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm not getting my own posts. No one is responding. I think no one is
>> getting them.
>>
>> Please, if you see this, respond so that I know my messages are being seen.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> _______________________________________________
>> ffmpeg-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>>
>> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
>> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
>
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Carlos E. R.
In reply to this post by Mark Filipak
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 15/12/2019 17.44, Mark Filipak wrote:
> I'm not getting my own posts. No one is responding. I think no one
> is getting them.
>
> Please, if you see this, respond so that I know my messages are
> being seen.
>
> Thanks.

Give thanks to google for deleting your own posts so that you can not
see them — a feature >:-P


Longer explanation:

Gmail deletes what it consider duplicate emails, by looking at the
"Message-ID" header. The copy of your email sent to the mail list back
to you has the same Message-ID than the one in the "Sent" folder, so
it is deleted.

Also, if some one replies both to the list and to you directly, you
only get the direct copy, because it arrives faster than the list
copy, which it considers a duplicate.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iF0EARECAB0WIQQZEb51mJKK1KpcU/W1MxgcbY1H1QUCXfZ+3QAKCRC1MxgcbY1H
1T77AJ973iRpK65XEo58R0BMo6uIDx/oWgCbB3MGcjrh+Ji8A63Z7WThZ2bC+LM=
=hFLq
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Reindl Harald


Am 15.12.19 um 19:43 schrieb Carlos E. R.
> Longer explanation:
>
> Gmail deletes what it consider duplicate emails, by looking at the
> "Message-ID" header. The copy of your email sent to the mail list back
> to you has the same Message-ID than the one in the "Sent" folder, so
> it is deleted.

how dumb are they to apply duplicate filters for inbound and outbound
mails and only use the message-id which si not as duplicate as one may
think?

> Also, if some one replies both to the list and to you directly, you
> only get the direct copy, because it arrives faster than the list
> copy, which it considers a duplicate.
that's normal on good servers for inbound mail an dthe reason why
everybody using reply-all and delete anything but the list-address
deserves a punch in the face

after that bullshit threading and reply-all for others  is broken
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Carlos E. R.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 15/12/2019 20.01, Reindl Harald wrote:

>
>
> Am 15.12.19 um 19:43 schrieb Carlos E. R.
>> Longer explanation:
>>
>> Gmail deletes what it consider duplicate emails, by looking at
>> the "Message-ID" header. The copy of your email sent to the mail
>> list back to you has the same Message-ID than the one in the
>> "Sent" folder, so it is deleted.
>
> how dumb are they to apply duplicate filters for inbound and
> outbound mails and only use the message-id which si not as
> duplicate as one may think?

Well, it is their feature. Intentionally so, although I have not seen
a document.


>> Also, if some one replies both to the list and to you directly,
>> you only get the direct copy, because it arrives faster than the
>> list copy, which it considers a duplicate.
> that's normal on good servers for inbound mail an dthe reason why
> everybody using reply-all and delete anything but the list-address
> deserves a punch in the face

None of my mail providers does such a thing - except gmail.

And I do not use reply to all on mail lists.

>
> after that bullshit threading and reply-all for others  is broken

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iF0EARECAB0WIQQZEb51mJKK1KpcU/W1MxgcbY1H1QUCXfaJDgAKCRC1MxgcbY1H
1X2XAKCE4omCPc3ZehBCFZkMWRd0kXX9iACeOy9yESsWCyvk3LgiUBQZqUhhHMg=
=gXdA
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Ulf Zibis
In reply to this post by Reindl Harald

Am 15.12.19 um 20:01 schrieb Reindl Harald:
>> Also, if some one replies both to the list and to you directly, you
>> only get the direct copy, because it arrives faster than the list
>> copy, which it considers a duplicate.
> that's normal on good servers for inbound mail an dthe reason why
> everybody using reply-all and delete anything but the list-address
> deserves a punch in the face
>
> after that bullshit threading and reply-all for others  is broken

To avoid this problem, with Thunderbird client you can use the "Reply
List" button instead "Reply All".

-Ulf

_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Mark Filipak
In reply to this post by Carlos E. R.
On 12/15/2019 01:43 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> On 15/12/2019 17.44, Mark Filipak wrote:
>> I'm not getting my own posts. No one is responding. I think no one
>> is getting them.
>>
>> Please, if you see this, respond so that I know my messages are
>> being seen.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Give thanks to google for deleting your own posts so that you can not
> see them — a feature >:-P

Ah... I hate to pop your balloon, but what you wrote cannot be the whole
story. I have other gmail accounts that are also mailing lists and I do
get my own posts echoed back to me.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Carlos E. R.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 15/12/2019 21.34, Mark Filipak wrote:

> On 12/15/2019 01:43 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 15/12/2019 17.44, Mark Filipak wrote:
>>> I'm not getting my own posts. No one is responding. I think no
>>> one is getting them.
>>>
>>> Please, if you see this, respond so that I know my messages
>>> are being seen.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Give thanks to google for deleting your own posts so that you can
>> not see them — a feature >:-P
>
> Ah... I hate to pop your balloon, but what you wrote cannot be the
> whole story. I have other gmail accounts that are also mailing
> lists and I do get my own posts echoed back to me.

Check if the Message-ID in the Sent folder and the Input folder are
the same, and if so, that it passed the list server. You are the first
person I met that says they are getting the copy while using gmail.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iF0EARECAB0WIQQZEb51mJKK1KpcU/W1MxgcbY1H1QUCXfadVAAKCRC1MxgcbY1H
1dwRAJ9hoIUk/TvitCTcMgUn2m8A9nOkXwCeJl5PrQICnHepyaGXwuEwh6Gjss0=
=7oR4
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Reindl Harald
In reply to this post by Ulf Zibis


Am 15.12.19 um 20:35 schrieb Ulf Zibis:

>
> Am 15.12.19 um 20:01 schrieb Reindl Harald:
>>> Also, if some one replies both to the list and to you directly, you
>>> only get the direct copy, because it arrives faster than the list
>>> copy, which it considers a duplicate.
>> that's normal on good servers for inbound mail an dthe reason why
>> everybody using reply-all and delete anything but the list-address
>> deserves a punch in the face
>>
>> after that bullshit threading and reply-all for others  is broken
>
> To avoid this problem, with Thunderbird client you can use the "Reply
> List" button instead "Reply All"

i know that, but i can't enforce idiots out there to proper handling
their mail client not matter which one
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Reindl Harald
In reply to this post by Carlos E. R.


Am 15.12.19 um 20:27 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 15/12/2019 20.01, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> Also, if some one replies both to the list and to you directly,
>>> you only get the direct copy, because it arrives faster than the
>>> list copy, which it considers a duplicate.
>> that's normal on good servers for inbound mail an dthe reason why
>> everybody using reply-all and delete anything but the list-address
>> deserves a punch in the face
>
> None of my mail providers does such a thing - except gmail
we do *because* all that idiots using "reply-all" when responding to
mailing lists but we don't drop inbound mail with just the same message
id of a outbound one

ignore duplicates have to distinct between inbound and outbound messages
and not look at outbound ones to begin with
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Mark Filipak
In reply to this post by Reindl Harald
On 12/15/2019 04:28 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>
>
> Am 15.12.19 um 20:35 schrieb Ulf Zibis:
>>
>> Am 15.12.19 um 20:01 schrieb Reindl Harald:
>>>> Also, if some one replies both to the list and to you directly, you
>>>> only get the direct copy, because it arrives faster than the list
>>>> copy, which it considers a duplicate.
>>> that's normal on good servers for inbound mail an dthe reason why
>>> everybody using reply-all and delete anything but the list-address
>>> deserves a punch in the face
>>>
>>> after that bullshit threading and reply-all for others  is broken
>>
>> To avoid this problem, with Thunderbird client you can use the "Reply
>> List" button instead "Reply All"
>
> i know that, but i can't enforce idiots out there to proper handling
> their mail client not matter which one

This is curious for 2 reasons:
1, I use TBird and can attest that "Reply List" doesn't always function
(meaning: replies sometimes open in the editor with no 'To' addresses at
all!), and
2, Using "Reply All" excludes the list in the 'To' addresses, so "Reply
All" can't be the sole cause of spewing.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are my posts getting to the list?

Reindl Harald


Am 15.12.19 um 22:44 schrieb Mark Filipak:

> On 12/15/2019 04:28 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>>
>> Am 15.12.19 um 20:35 schrieb Ulf Zibis:
>>>
>>> Am 15.12.19 um 20:01 schrieb Reindl Harald:
>>>>> Also, if some one replies both to the list and to you directly, you
>>>>> only get the direct copy, because it arrives faster than the list
>>>>> copy, which it considers a duplicate.
>>>> that's normal on good servers for inbound mail an dthe reason why
>>>> everybody using reply-all and delete anything but the list-address
>>>> deserves a punch in the face
>>>>
>>>> after that bullshit threading and reply-all for others  is broken
>>>
>>> To avoid this problem, with Thunderbird client you can use the "Reply
>>> List" button instead "Reply All"
>>
>> i know that, but i can't enforce idiots out there to proper handling
>> their mail client not matter which one
>
> This is curious for 2 reasons:
> 1, I use TBird and can attest that "Reply List" doesn't always function
> (meaning: replies sometimes open in the editor with no 'To' addresses at
> all!)

never seen, if there is a proper set of "List-*" header it's used

> 2, Using "Reply All" excludes the list in the 'To' addresses, so "Reply
> All" can't be the sole cause of spewing


because not only users are idiots, list-admins are too

the samba-list as example enforces a "reply-To" header and even after
diskuss whith these fools that not my lcient or server is adding that
header months ago itäs not fixed
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".